Saturday, October 31, 2009

Potato soup: Six easy steps

Upon popular demand (I am very modest as you see) I decided to share my secret recipe for Potato and leek soup. You need to have the following ingredients:

1 bunch of leek (usually they come in two large or three medium stems)
4-6 medium potatoes (depending on how many leeks you have and if you like the leek flavor strong or mild)
1 tsp. butter or margerine or any spread
2-4 cubes of chicken stock (again depending on how much water you use to cover the vegetables)
4-6 cups of water
1-2 cups of milk or 1 cup of creme

Six easy steps:
1. peel the potatoes and cut them up in medium size chunks
2. peel the first one or two layers of the leek and then cut the root side and cut as much dark green side as you like (personal taste.)
3. make a vertical cut into the leek and open up the layers under running water to make sure to wash out any mud hiding.
4. fill large pot with water, add vegetables, and bring to boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes and let cool.
5. blend the vegetable mix (you can either add or reduce water according to your preference: a thicker mix would turn the recipe into pottage, a thinner one turns it into soup.)
6. add chicken stock and cook, then add the milk or creme, let it boil for a minute and then turn off the heat.

Tip: you can add salt and pepper (or seven spices-- bought from your local Middle Eastern store) if you like stronger spice taste.

And voila! Bon appetit...

Did you know that potatoes are also called:
Pommes de terre in French? Pommes de terre literally means apples of the earth! I wonder why!
Batata in Arabic?
Kartoffle in German?

More tips: I love to use secret ingredients in my recipes; you know, like using spinach in a salad and convincing the kids it's just dark leafed lettuce?
So here you go: you can add grounded flax seed to any recipe, especially this soup. Flax seed is a healthy ingredient that provides you with the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids. It has positive effects on heart health and cholesterol.

Another secret weapon I use in my cooking: black seed. Now I won't give away my secrets so easily. You have to earn it first! I am waiting for your comments and feedback.

Who can tell me why the black seed is a miracle herb?

No comments:

Post a Comment